Saturday, May 12, 2012

May 4-5th, pre-transplant weekend

I am sorry that this took so long to post but we were so busy preparing to come to the hospital that I didn't have a moment's time to write in the blog.  We have SOOO many people to thank for making his farewell party so special and amazing!

Friday - His classmates with the help of Mrs. Copersmet and Mrs. Sturgeon all came up with the idea of throwing an ice cream party for him and the kids all brought in items to fill a HUGE basket with things to keep him busy at the hospital along with really sweet cards and letters.  And the biggest surprise of al was a video montage and pictures of all the kids making funny faces or telling jokes or just saying something really encouraging to him.  Thank God Mrs. C sent home a copy the week prior to the party b/c I cried my eyes out the first day and had to watch it everyday to sort of de-sensitize myself to the sweetness of it.  I still teared but couldn't cry b/c Connor kept looking back at me to see my reaction.  He tried very hard not to cry either but did break down when we were in the safety of our house.  The kids were so amazing and we can't thank all the parents and Patton enough for giving him such a warm send-off. 

Saturday - Connor was a roller coaster of emotions.  He wanted today to be his "BEST DAY EVER" but he was just a little anxious and nervous all morning.  I know how he felt b/c throughout the process we had managed to stay so busy that we didn't think about the BMT too often. It was always in the back of our minds but didn't really have time to dwell on things,  just had to prepare.  Connor was just busy trying to play with everyone that he could.  But the weekend of, I was a bundle of nerves, I was also really nervous (could be that I still had nothing packed) and anxious.  And so I spoke to him in a serious tone b/c we were running late to get things prepped for our party- he started crying and told me that i was ruining his day and why was I mad at him?  and then he changed it to I was ruining his morning.  After all that work and planning, I am the one that ruined his day :( that sucked).

Jedi Training party -  We have to thank Adriane Bean from the 501st Legion for coordinaing all the wonderful volunteers who came to make this party out of this world!  I can't even begin to describe to you how AWESOME it was to have all of these characters at the party. The reaction of the kids was just over the top! They were in awe and then pure excitement! Adriane also helped to provide some games for the kids to play.  And Thank you to all my friends who helped to coordinate the kids for these activities for me. It was very difficult to manage 50 kids. i really needed a microphone that day.

Block Party - Connor came home from his Jedi party to a block party on our street with all of our wonderful neighbors and friends.  Karie even managed to have the fire dept stop by with the trucks and the kids were able to try on the heavy hat and sit at the wheel.  He just loved eating popcorn from Mr. Palmer's movie theatre popcorn maker (he ate 5 bags full) and riding his bike on the streets.  He says that the block party is one of his favorite days of the year b/c he gets to ride the streets.  So we are so thankful that it didn't rain and that he was able to get that in before coming to the hospital.

Sunday - We wanted to thank Delaney and Carson for coming to play with Connor this morning. They all played very nicely together and it allowed steve and I time to really concentrate on packing and getting things organized.  They stayed until the very end and it was a really nice distraction for Connor.  We then went to drop off Bailey (our dog) at my parents house and I was expecting some tears but Connor bravely said Bye and told him will see him later and it was time to head to lincoln park.  We ended the weekend with watching The Avengers in 3D and he just loved the movie.

It was such a wonderful send off weekend for Connor.  We can't Thank YOU all enough for making him feel so loved and special. The memories from this weekend will be with him for a long time and will help him to be extra brave and have something to hold onto while he is undergoing this process. 

Thank you!

No comments: